What My Momma Taught Me

Yesterday would have been my mother's 57th birthday. She passed suddenly at the age of 45; due to a serious illness that she lived with most of her life. It is unreal to think that she's been gone so long. My birthday doesn't fall too far from hers. We were twenty years apart in age; I guess that is one of those facts you learn as a child that sticks with you for life. It was special to celebrate our birthdays during the same month.

My momma was quite a woman. She raised me as a single Mom and lived with incredible integrity and strength in a world that seeks after personal pleasure over family values. She taught me that truth is vital and once you lose someone's trust; it is almost impossible to retrieve. Momma was a hard worker and she loved people. She knew how to care for people in need and she knew how to be a friend. She was quiet; yet purposeful. Intelligent; yet ordinary. She loved me more than anything in the world.

Now as I look at my daughter and experience the joys of motherhood, I have Momma's legacy to pass on. How blessed I am to have these good things to share.