Encounters

A couple of years ago, I had an encounter during my prayer time that shook me to the core. I heard God explain to me that He was going to do great things in me; if I yielded myself. It wasn't an audible voice from the Heavens, but it was real and clear as day. When God said that I needed to yield, that meant giving over the inner struggles that I've kept a hold on or better said, that have kept a hold on me.

How incredible! God was going to use this incredibly simple, ordinary woman to do something for Him? Something bigger than I have known? Wow, I was amazed and excited. It wasn't long after this intimate time of fellowship with God that I experienced a call on my life. That was a funny, ordinary day at home with my daughter. We were playing outside in the backyard and I was reading a book and it hit me. "Oh, that's what this is..." The next day I asked a friend of mine if people would be called to such a ministry and she said "of course they can". So, there you go.

It still brings so much joy when I recall those few months of deep prayer and spiritual questioning. However, the road I've travelled over the past two years revealed so much to me; pressing me to continue learning every day. As I've journeyed through these days I've attained some insight easily, other life lessons came across with a good bash on the head for me to comprehend...

1. When we walk closer to God, He reveals the "stuff" that we ought to remove from our lives. The inappropriate television shows we view; the lyrics to that old favorite song; negative relationships in our life and deep, personal areas that need a touch from the Holy Spirit to make us more like Him.

2. Saying "yes" to God brings a wild ride. Amazing things may happen; but the responsibility to represent the Living God is HUGE. Everything we do, every response we make, every decision reflects what we believe about God. And, some days are full of burden...you feel it.

3. There are days that we need to remind ourselves of the "encounter". Days can be hard or may make absolutely no sense but there's a reason for everything and this too will pass.

4. Nothing replaces the Word of God and quietness in His presence. We can't fill our time with everything but God. It will never work. Never.

This is really so basic; nothing we haven't heard before in the Christian world. However, when we stay in tune with our walk with God, all of these things matter deeply. I am continually excited about the work that my God is going to do in and through me. I am thankful for the reminder of that day and pray that I can be whatever He chooses with a graceful, quiet heart.