Re-posting - "While Working Out"

I wrote this back in April and thought of it this morning, in celebration of our Veterans. - Lee Ann

I was working out the other day and noticed a pair of older gentleman "spotting" each other as they lifted weights. At first I didn't think anything of it. Then I noticed that the senior gentleman in the Desert Storm ball cap had a prosthesis for his right leg from the thigh-down.

Once I noticed it, I couldn't escape the thought. "That man is a veteran. He has to be. He lost his leg while serving our country." Tears came to my eyes as I thought of his sacrifice. I KNOW I'm not such a servant. Would I allow that kind of life-altering-pain into my life? I just don't know.

As I got up from my weight machine, I made an effort to start a conversation with the men. I asked if they were in the service and when the gentleman with the prosthesis said that he was, I thanked him. I am thankful for the men and women willing to put their lives on the line for my freedom. I'm also thankful for the reminder of the importance of sacrifice.