Unexpected Jelly Beans

Okay, so today my little girl handed me a couple of brown jelly beans and said, “I saved these for you, Momma!” I popped them into my mouth without thinking twice. Then, I had this Willy Wonka-esque sensation wash over me and I thought, “Mmmm! What is this?” It was after that when it struck me. I realized that my taste buds were encountering a jelly bean with a flavor that I’ve never really been a big fan of – the chocolate covered cherry. “Could that be? Noooo…but… maybe? Really? It was good!” (And I liked it.)

Since 1976, the famous jelly bean company, Jelly Belly, has discovered the art of replicating fantastic food flavors into the ever-so-small size of a bean. Who knew that Jelly Belly would hit the target and begin producing these minute gems by the billions? By stepping out to make candy out of natural flavors, a candy company radically changed the market for jelly beans; and continues to do so today.

Wouldn’t it be amazing if we lived out our faith in such a way that we would give someone a new experience of Truth? Where they would taste something that they detested before…only to discover that they LOVE it and want to seek after it? I wanna be that girl.

In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. – Matthew 5:16