Learning a Lot

Wow, what an incredible week I had in Brazil! The week in Niteroi, a city next to Rio de Janeiro,was amazing. God stretched me in many ways. I went on this trip with no expectations...I just wanted to meet with God and do what He asked. I wanted to be stripped of everything familiar and only be able to lean on Him. That's exactly what I got.

The start of the trip was somewhat introductory, with team devotions in the morning and plans for the day. Then there was the first team assignment. I was able to serve alongside Rachel, a friend from North Valley and a young man, Josh, who is called to full time Missionary service in Columbia. We walked the streets of Niteroi, sharing the gospel with various people we encountered. It was hard. I'm quiet and rarely walk up to people I do not know and start conversations. As the day went on, I found ways to share and add to the team. That day and throughout the remainder of the trip, I saw people turn their hearts toward God and accept His gift of salvation.

Many times I thought to myself...I wonder if my friends back home would have been ready for this experience? Inadequacy flooded my mind over and over and I often prayed for God to do His work, because I knew I could not do the tasks without Him.

Each day, team members travelled to new teams. We were used in different ways to share the gospel in homes, in parks, in church services and on the streets. The signts I saw amazed me. The people I met were so full of love and hospitality. I got to serve alongside people from my home church, people from different states in the US as well as people from Colombia and Brazil. It was an honor and very humbling. The students there had a fire for Christ and it inspired me.

There is so much I could pull from this experience. I want to know the scripture more; practice hospitality more; and be confident in the woman that God has made me to be. I realized that I have been so busy that I've not allowed myself to build real relationships with people I encounter at home. I had to travel to a foreign country to have the opportunity to share my life with others I see every Sunday. Above all, I want to be sure to always share the hope that I have in Jesus Christ, my Savior.

Thank you to all of you that prayed and supported this mission trip. Our team felt your prayers and lives were changed because of it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!