On Mother's and Daughters

On Mother's and Daughters...it is interesting to see how similar we are. Sometimes the similarities can bring overwhelming frustration; other times, great comfort. Years ago, I dreamed of having a daughter that would inherit my hands. My mother, grandmother and I had the same hands in appearance. The women that held my hands as a child represented incredible strength to me and I saw my hands as a physical heritage. Passing that on was key to my passage into parenthood; or so I thought.

I have the most beautiful daughter. One day, I looked reality in the face and admitted the truth...she's just like me. Our physical characteristics are worlds apart, but we have many similarities. We are both as stubborn as all get out for starters.

Just last Saturday, I woke up to my sweet Asian princess telling me that she "organized". She did. She discarded a bunch of misconstrued papers and found a place for all of her creative goodies in our craft room. Her markers and crayons had a special container and so did the papers, stickers, tape, etc. She prepared drawers just for them. After walking me to the craft room, Grace looked at me and said, "Momma, I organized." "Do you like it?"

Do I like it? More than she could ever imagine. I thrive on organization, yes. Gracie knows that. What do I really thrive on? The smile and love that oozes out of the heart of my daughter.

God brought Gracie to me through adoption. Only a GREAT God could match up a child with a Momma and a Daddy and reveal such intricate similarities. Not only does Gracie organize...but she's sassy and creative. She's continually gluing and cutting and coloring. She's always making something to give away...and so am I.

There's often a random piece of construction paper on the floor of my house. Taped artwork abounds. Would I change it? NEVER. After all, my daughter does have my hands; hands that bring joy to others through her creativity and giving. They are the most beautiful hands. One day she will pass them on.